Image by stockking on Freepik
Pregnancy: A miraculous and beautiful journey with many challenges for a mother-to-be. A woman has to undergo lot many emotional and physical changes during and after these nine months. Just to hold her baby, she bears and faces several challenges. Well, Among those many common problems, Piles and Fissures during pregnancy are the most common ones.
Through our experience, we are decoding here the most common causes, symptoms, and treatments of Piles and Fissures.
Here we go!
Understanding Piles (Hemorrhoids) during Pregnancy:
Piles, commonly known as hemorrhoids, are swollen blood vessels in the rectal area. The increased pressure on the pelvic region during pregnancy, combined with hormonal changes, can lead to the development of piles. As the uterus expands, it puts pressure on the veins in the rectal area, causing them to swell and become painful.
Common Symptoms of Piles during Pregnancy:
Expectant mothers may experience the following symptoms if they have piles:
- Itching, burning, or soreness around the anus
- Pain and discomfort during bowel movements
- Swelling or a lump near the anus
- Bleeding during or after passing stool
- A feeling of fullness or heaviness in the rectal area
- Muscle spasm around the anal area
Fissures: A Painful Condition during Pregnancy:
Fissures are small tears or cracks in the lining of the anus, typically caused by the passage of hard or large stools. The pressure of pregnancy can exacerbate the risk of fissures. The
Symptoms of fissures include:
- Intense pain during and after bowel movements
- Bleeding during or after passing stool
- Itching and discomfort around the anus
What causes Piles and Fissures during Pregnancy:
Several factors increase the likelihood of piles and fissures during pregnancy:
- Increased pressure on the pelvic area due to the growing uterus
- Hormonal changes affecting blood vessels and connective tissues
- Constipation or straining during bowel movements
- Lack of dietary fiber and inadequate hydration
- Prolonged sitting or standing, leads to poor blood circulation
- Genetic predisposition
Coping with Piles and Fissures during Pregnancy: The Treatment
Piles and fissures during pregnancy can be uncomfortable and painful, but with the right knowledge and proactive measures, they can be effectively managed. By making lifestyle modifications, using topical treatments, and seeking medical advice, you can reverse your medical condition.
Let’s see how:
a. Lifestyle Modifications:
First of all, Change your diet. We all know that our food is the best medicine. Bring the following changes into your diet:
- Increase fiber intake through fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes
- Stay well-hydrated to soften stools and ease bowel movements
- Avoid spicy foods and caffeine that may irritate the digestive system
b. Adopting Healthy Bowel Habits:
- Avoid straining during bowel movements
- Use a stool softener or consult a healthcare provider for safe laxatives if necessary
- Establish a regular bathroom routine
c. Warm Sitz Baths:
- Soaking the rectal area in warm water for 10-15 minutes a few times a day can alleviate discomfort and promote healing.
- In some cases, doctors may prescribe stool softeners or laxatives to manage constipation and reduce strain during bowel movements.
e. Seek Medical Advice:
If home remedies do not provide sufficient relief, it is essential to consult a healthcare professional. Depending on the severity of the condition, they may recommend:
- Topical creams or ointments to reduce inflammation and pain
- Rubber band ligation or sclerotherapy for hemorrhoids
- Botox injection to relax the anal sphincter for fissures
- Minimally invasive procedures or surgery in rare cases
Piles and fissures are common discomforts that pregnant women may experience due to various factors related to pregnancy. Understanding the causes, symptoms, and treatment options can help expectant mothers take proactive measures to manage these conditions effectively. While home remedies and lifestyle modifications can offer relief, it is crucial to seek professional advice for persistent or severe symptoms. Remember, a healthy diet, regular exercise, and proper hydration play significant roles in preventing and managing piles and fissures during this precious time of life.
For any queries, do contact Ravi Hospital Group. We are the best mother child care Noida and have the best gynecologist in Agra, Firozabad, and Aligarh. Our committed doctors have made us the best Women’s health clinic in Noida. Our doctors can help you and guide you to handle piles and fissures during pregnancy as well. Thus, do not heitate and talk to us!
Come to us if you find yourself in such an uncomfortable situation.
Don’t keep it yourself, talk to your doctor now!
Further, Ravi Hospital is known as the leading fertility clinic in Noida, Agra, and Aligarh. Do consult us to have the best IVF in Agra, Noida, and Aligarh.
Visit at least once!